AG/RES. 1633 (XXIX-O/99)
7 June 1999
EVALUATION OF THE WORKINGS OF THE INTER-AMERICAN SYSTEM
FOR THE PROMOTION AND PROTECTION OF HUMAN RIGHTS
WITH A VIEW TO ITS STRENGTHENING AND IMPROVEMENT
(Adopted at the first plenary session, held on June 7, 1999,
and pending review by the Style Committee)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the report of the Permanent Council on evaluation and improvement of the inter-American system for the promotion and protection of human rights (CP/CAJP-1522/99), presented pursuant to resolution AG/RES. 1546 (XXVIII-O/98);
BEARING IN MIND that the member states of the Organization of American States have proclaimed in Article 3 of the Charter of the Organization, as one of its principles, respect for the fundamental rights of the individual, without distinction as to race, nationality, creed, or sex;
AWARE that international promotion and protection of human rights is intended to enhance and complement the protection afforded under the domestic law of the member states and is based on the dignity of the individual; and
That the heads of state and government, in the Plan of Action of the Second Summit of the Americas, held in Santiago, Chile, in April 1998, affirmed the need to strengthen and improve the inter-American human rights system through concrete initiatives; and
That is advisable to pursue efforts to strengthen and improve the inter-American human rights system, including the possibility of evaluating the corresponding legal instruments and the working methods and procedures of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) and the Inter-American Court of Human Rights,
1. To promote concrete initiatives and measures designed to strengthen the institutional structure of the inter-American human rights system within the framework of the legal instruments governing it and to promote ties with national as well as regional and international entities with similar purposes so as to strengthen and improve that system.
2. To instruct the Permanent Council to continue its comprehensive consideration of the various aspects involved in the evaluation of the inter-American system for the promotion and protection of human rights with a view to strengthening and improving it, formulating such recommendations as it considers appropriate.
3. To instruct the Permanent Council to promote dialogue and cooperation among the organs, agencies, and entities of the inter-American system and, where appropriate, with the Inter-American Institute of Human Rights and other governmental and nongovernmental organizations and institutions.
4. To forward this resolution to the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights and the Inter-American Court of Human Rights.
5. To request the Permanent Council to report to the General Assembly at its thirtieth regular session on the implementation of this resolution.[OAS General Assembly/tracker.htm]