AG/RES. 1651 (XXIX-O/99)
7 June 1999
THE PREVENTION OF AND WAR ON CRIME
(Adopted at the first plenary session, held on June
and pending review by the Style Committee)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
The report of the Permanent Council on the topic "The Prevention of and War on Crime" (CP/CAJP-1530/99), presented pursuant to resolution AG/RES. 1563 (XXVIII-O/98);
The report of the Secretary General on relevant international experience with the prevention of and war on crime, especially the complementary measures identified in that report that could be adopted in the inter-American system (CP/CAJP-1415/99); and
The final report of the Meeting of Government Experts on the Prevention of and War on Crime (REGDEL/doc.9/99), held in Medell�n, Colombia, on April 19 and 20, 1999, pursuant to resolution AG/RES. 1563 (XXVIII-O/98);
MINDFUL of the will of the heads of state and government of the Hemisphere, reiterated in a series of declarations, to prevent, control, and combat all aspects of crime with determination and vigor, reasoning that crime is one of the most pressing problems in the region;
RECALLING the "Declaration of Montrouis: A New Vision of the OAS," which expresses the intent "to foster an exchange of experiences in the prevention of and war on crime and to study possible measures to improve public safety";
BEARING IN MIND that the prevention of and war on crime are top priorities for all the countries;
RECOGNIZING the need to review strategies and recommend cooperative action to confront this common problem;
EMPHASIZING the advisability of fostering dialogue and the exchange of experience among
member states in connection with problems faced and progress achieved, in order to
standardize criteria and step up cooperation;
UNDERSCORING the importance of promoting and providing technical assistance that will help to strengthen, in an institutional sense, the national authorities responsible for the prevention of and war on crime;
OBSERVING the principles and purposes enshrined in the Charter of the Organization of American States;
BEARING IN MIND that, through resolution AG/RES. 1490 (XXVII-O/97), the General Assembly instructed the Permanent Council to study and analyze the report presented by the General Secretariat proposing the establishment of a special program of support for national efforts in the prevention of and war on crime; and
CONSIDERING that the Meeting of Government Experts on the Prevention of and War on Crime, held in Medell�n, Colombia, on April 19 and 20, 1999, was convened by the General Assembly through resolution AG/RES. 1563 (XXVIII-O/98), "to facilitate a broad hemispheric discussion that will set the parameters and guidelines for addressing inter-American cooperation in these areas and provide a basis on which the OAS may develop a multilateral program in this area,"
1. To express its most sincere gratitude to the Government of the Republic of Colombia for its expert assistance, which ensured the success of the Meeting of Government Experts on the Prevention of and War on Crime.
2. To take note of the Final Report of the Meeting of Government Experts on the Prevention of and War on Crime, held in Medell�n, Colombia, on April 19 and 20, 1999.
3. To instruct the Permanent Council to take appropriate action for adequate consideration of the recommendations arising from the above-mentioned Meeting of Government Experts.
4. To request that the General Secretariat continue to compile international experience in this area, particularly under the aegis of the United Nations, and that it handle the arrangements for technical and financial support from other multilateral institutions, such as the Inter-American Development Bank, the World Bank, and the Pan American Health Organization, as well as from the permanent observers, for the design and execution of those activities the Permanent Council deems appropriate.
5. To request the Permanent Council to report to the General Assembly at its thirtieth regular session on the implementation of this resolution.[OAS General Assembly/tracker.htm]