AG/RES. 1654 (XXIX-O/99)
7 June 1999
ANNUAL REPORT OF THE
INTER-AMERICAN DRUG ABUSE CONTROL COMMISSION (CICAD)
(Adopted at the first plenary
session, held on June 7, 1999,
and pending review by the Style Committee)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
HAVING SEEN the observations and recommendations of the Permanent Council on the annual reports of the organs, and entities of the Organization of American States (OAS), presented pursuant to Article 91.f of the OAS Charter (AG/doc. /99), and in particular those on the Annual Report of the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) (CP/doc. /99);
REAFFIRMING its commitment to the principles and purposes set forth by the OAS in the Inter-American Program of Action of Rio de Janeiro against the Illicit Use and Production of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances and Traffic Therein; the Declaration and Program of Action of Ixtapa; the Inter-American Program of Quito: Comprehensive Education to Prevent Drug Abuse; and most recently, the Anti-Drug Strategy in the Hemisphere, approved in Buenos Aires, October 1996;
The drug control initiatives in the Plan of Action of the First Summit of the Americas (Miami, 1994) and the activities carried out by CICAD to implement them; and
The Declaration and the Plan of Action of the Second Summit of the Americas, held in Santiago, Chile (April 1998); and
The continued excellence of the work carried out by CICAD and its assistance to member states in combating illicit drug trafficking throughout the Hemisphere;
The progress that CICAD has made in responding to the mandate of the Second Summit of the Americas to develop a single, objective process of multilateral governmental evaluation in order to monitor the progress of individual and collective efforts in the Hemisphere in the aim of building mutual confidence and cooperation; and
The intention of member states to complete the negotiation of the Multilateral Evaluation Mechanism (MEM) in 1999 and to conduct the first evaluation exercise in the year 2000,
1. To endorse the observations and recommendations made by the Permanent Council on the annual report of CICAD and to transmit them to CICAD for consideration (CP/ACTA 1189/99).
2. To instruct CICAD to continue its support to member states in the fight against drug production, trafficking, and abuse in the Hemisphere.
3. To express its satisfaction with the progress made by the Intergovernmental Working Group of CICAD responsible for designing the Multilateral Evaluation Mechanism (MEM), pursuant to the mandate of the Second Summit of the Americas.
4. To encourage member states to conclude the negotiations on establishing the Multilateral Evaluation Mechanism (MEM) as quickly as possible.
5. To urge CICAD to adopt the necessary measures to ensure that the first evaluation exercise takes place in the year 2000.
6. To urge member states to collaborate in the attempt to provide CICAD with the human and financial resources required for the establishment and operation of the Multilateral Evaluation Mechanism (MEM), within resources allocated in the program-budget and other resources.[OAS General Assembly/tracker.htm]