AG/RES. 1666 (XXIX-O/99)
7 June 1999
CREATION OF THE COMMITTEE TO COORDINATE
COOPERATION PROGRAMS OF THE INTER-AMERICAN SYSTEM
(Adopted at the first plenary session, held on June 7, 1999,
and pending review by the Style Committee)
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY,
TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION the broad spectrum of programs and activities related to technical cooperation and development carried out by the organs, agencies, and entities of the inter-American system;
That the OAS General Secretariat has a system for coordination with the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB); and
That it is necessary to establish a mechanism to improve the exchange of information and coordination of such programs and activities in order to use the resources of the inter-American system more effectively and efficiently;
TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION ALSO that the organs, agencies, and entities of the inter-American system carry out development activities in the countries of the Hemisphere without appropriate coordination; and
BEARING IN MIND that the need for improved coordination within the inter-American system was a recurring theme in the Ministerial Dialogue on Cooperation for Integral Development in the New Millennium at the Fourth Regular Meeting of the Inter-American Council for Integral Development (CIDI),
1. To authorize the establishment of the Committee to Coordinate Cooperation Programs of the Inter-American System; and to request the Secretary General to hold necessary consultations with the organs, agencies, and entities of the inter-American system that deal with development matters and report to the Permanent Council on ways to implement this resolution.
2. To establish that the function of this Committee shall be to improve the coordination of technical cooperation and development programs carried out by various organs, agencies, and entities of the inter-American system.
3. To stipulate that this Committee, chaired by the OAS Secretary General, will be composed of the corresponding chief executive officer of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR), of the Inter-American Commission of Women (CIM), of the Pan American Institute of Geography and History (PAIGH), of the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA), of the Inter-American Children's Institute (IIN), of the Inter-American Indian Institute (III), of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), of the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD), of the Inter-American Telecommunication Commission (CITEL), and of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), and the executive officer in charge of the committees which are engaged in technical cooperation and development programs and related activities.
4. To stipulate that the Assistant Secretary General shall be the Vice Chair of the Committee and that the Executive Secretary of CIDI shall be its Technical Secretary.
5. To establish that the Committee shall meet at least twice a year and at such other times as deemed necessary by the Secretary General or as formally requested by the chief executive officer of any specialized organization of the inter-American system.
6. To request the Secretary General to report periodically to the Permanent Council, the Inter-American Council for Integral Development (CIDI), and to the General Assembly on the work of the Committee to Coordinate Cooperation Programs of the Inter-American System.[OAS General Assembly/tracker.htm]